Lorenz Curve and Gini Coefficient ANSWER KEY PDF document - DocSlides

Lorenz Curve and Gini Coefficient ANSWER KEY PDF document - DocSlides

2014-12-12 223K 223 0 0

Description

Arrange the data from lowest to highest Bill 1500 Zak 2000 Robert 8000 Jose 9000 Erika 10000 Kai 12000 Juan 15000 Harry 16000 Kathleen 20000 Emily 30000 2 Calculate the total income 12350000 3 Divide into quintiles 105 2 earners in each quintil e ID: 22957

Direct Link: Link:https://www.docslides.com/briana-ranney/lorenz-curve-and-gini-coefficient Embed code:

Download this pdf

DownloadNote - The PPT/PDF document "Lorenz Curve and Gini Coefficient ANSWER..." is the property of its rightful owner. Permission is granted to download and print the materials on this web site for personal, non-commercial use only, and to display it on your personal computer provided you do not modify the materials and that you retain all copyright notices contained in the materials. By downloading content from our website, you accept the terms of this agreement.

Presentations text content in Lorenz Curve and Gini Coefficient ANSWER KEY


Page 1
Lorenz Curve and Gini Coefficient ANSWER KEY 1. Arrange the data from lowest to highest. Bill 1500 Zak 2000 Robert 8000 Jose 9000 Erika 10000 Kai 12000 Juan 15000 Harry 16000 Kathleen 20000 Emily 30000 2. Calculate the total income: $ 123,500.00 3. Divide into quintiles. 10/5 = 2 earners in each quintil e. Bill and Zak compose the lowest quintile or 20% of income earners; Robert and Jose compose the second quintile or cumulative of 40% of income earners; Ericka and Kai co mpose the third quintile, or a cumulative of 60% of income earners; Juan and Harry com pose the fourth quintile, or a cumulative of 80% of income earners; and Kathleen and Em ily are the fifth quintile or a cumulative of 100% of income earners. 4. Calculate the total income in each quintile: 20 $3,500 40 $17,000 60 $22,000 80 $31,000 100 $50,000 5. Calculate the percent of total income in each quinti le. 20 $3,500 0.028 40 $17,000 0.138 60 $22,000 0.178 80 $31,000 0.251 100 $50,000 0.404 Total $123,500 6. Approximate the percentages for easier graphing. 20 $3,500 0.03 40 $17,000 0.14 60 $22,000 0.18
Page 2
80 $31,000 0.25 100 $50,000 0.4 Total $123,500 7. Calculate the cumulative percentage of household inco me. 20 $3,500 0.03 0.03 40 $17,000 0.14 0.17 60 $22,000 0.18 0.35 80 $31,000 0.25 0.6 100 $50,000 0.4 1 8. Graph quintiles, cumulative percent of income, and li ne of perfect equality. Begin by deleting the two middle columns and adding a third column (th e line of perfect equality.) 0 0 0.2 0.03 0.2 0.4 0.17 0.4 0.6 0.35 0.6 0.8 0.6 0.8 1 1 9. Highlight data. 10. Use the Chart Wizard, select “Scatter Plot
Page 3
11. Eliminate gridlines, background, Legend as you prefer, and f inish. Lorenz Curve 0.2 0.4 0.6 0.8 1.2 0 0.2 0.4 0.6 0.8 1 1.2 Cummulative % of Households Cummulative % of Income
Page 4
12. Calculate the area under the Lorenz Curve using the pr operties of a trapezoid. The formula is: ½(b1 + b2).2. Area = ½( 0 + .03).2 + ½(.03 + .14).2+ ½(.,14+.35).2+1/2(.35+.6). 2+1/2(.6+1).2 Area = .33 13. Subtract area under the line of perfect equality from th e area under the Lorenz Curve. In other words, .5 - .33 = .17. This is the area between the line of perfect equality and the Lorenz Curve. 15. The Gini Coefficient is found by taking the ratio of the area between the line of perfect equality and the Lorenz Curve to the area under th e line of perfect equality. That is: .17/.50 = .34. The Gini Coefficient is .34.

About DocSlides
DocSlides allows users to easily upload and share presentations, PDF documents, and images.Share your documents with the world , watch,share and upload any time you want. How can you benefit from using DocSlides? DocSlides consists documents from individuals and organizations on topics ranging from technology and business to travel, health, and education. Find and search for what interests you, and learn from people and more. You can also download DocSlides to read or reference later.