Download Presentation - The PPT/PDF document "Alflix" is the property of its rightful owner. Permission is granted to download and print the materials on this web site for personal, non-commercial use only, and to display it on your personal computer provided you do not modify the materials and that you retain all copyright notices contained in the materials. By downloading content from our website, you accept the terms of this agreement.
Presentation on theme: "Alflix"— Presentation transcript:
Unique Alfred structures
King Alfred Statue
Miller Performing Arts Center
Powell Campus Center
Steinheim 1876 3 FloorsIt began as a private residence of Professor Ida Kenyon, who wanted to reproduce the architecture of a castle like the ones in her native Germany, its now the Career Development Center and holds the Allen Steinheim Museum. Professor Kenyon started construction on the building in 1875, using stones collected from the area. She ran out of money before her castle was completed, and it was purchased by Jonathan Allen, the University's second president, who completed it for use as a natural history museum and classroom. After 75 years and inadequate maintenance, the building was in disrepair and closed in 1953. A decade later, basic repairs were made, allowing the building to be used for nearly 30 more years before it again closed, this time for a major renovation that transformed it into the Career Development Center. The renovation project won an architectural award for its careful blending of the old with the new. The walls of the building are a geological museum in themselves, made of more than 8,000 kinds of rock, all collected from within three miles of campus. The interior of the building is finished primarily in native wood from local forests. More than 800 kinds of wood can be found in the Steinheim.
Miller Performing Arts Center 1995 2 FloorsThe Miller Performing Arts Center provides a home for the Alfred University Division of Performing Arts, as well as serving as a cultural focal point for the region. It includes the C.D. Smith Flexible Theater, experimental theatre with some of the finest sound and lighting equipment in the country. The building also has rehearsal spaces, individual practice rooms, studios, and areas for study and collaboration. It offers spectacular views and spaciousness for students and faculty alike. Inside you can find the C.D. Smith III Theatre, Rod Brown Acting Studio, The Adelphia Dance Studio, The Brooks Music Rehearsal Hall, The Emerson Rehearsal Hall and the 480 Seat Theatre Concert Hall.
Alumni Hall 1851 3 FloorsAlumni Hall was constructed with wood from the surrounding forest. Originally called Chapel Hall and later Academy Hall, it is the oldest original building on the Alfred University campus. It first housed the Alfred Academy and later offered space for the University: auditorium, gymnasium, classrooms, laboratory, library, and movie theater. In 1927, it was given its current name, Alumni Hall. It was closed in 1972 after being declared a fire hazard but continued to be used as a storage facility. Beginning in March 1985, the building was gutted and a concrete and steel structure built inside the original wood building in order to create new office space for the Graduate School, Financial Aid, and Admissions. Work was completed in April 1986 and a rededication ceremony was part of the University’s Sesquicentennial celebration. Above the original belfry was, and still is, the weather vane in the form of a quill pen. Designed by Prof. Darius R. Ford, it was carved out of a twelve-foot pine fence rail and symbolized the adage, “The pen is mightier than the sword.” The original bell now sits in the foyer. This building is listed on the National and State Historic Register.
Observatory 1966 4 DomesThe John L. Stull Observatory includes four telescopes and one classroom office building. The first two domes were constructed during the civil war in 1966. One contains the 9 inch F/18 Fitz Refractor from the original Rogers Observatory (1863). The other has the 20 inch F/5.5 Metzger Reflector. In 1969, another dome was built, housing the 16 inch F/11 Grindle Reflector. In 1976, a fourth dome was constructed that houses the 14 inch F/6 Olseon Reflector. A solar telescope is located in the Grindle Dome. It has a 6 inch F/15 polar siderostat and can be used at night for other brighter objects. A connecting deck provides mountings for the guided and stationary cameras. The classroom building was built in 1968 and also houses a darkroom, office, and storage. today the observatory is one of the best in the United States dedicated to undergraduate teaching and research. The facility is open to the public on many clear Friday nights throughout the year.
Kanakadea Hall 1884 3 FloorsThe oldest academic building still in use as such on the Alfred University campus, Kanakadea Hall was built in 1884 as a grammar school for the Alfred community. A 1907 fire destroyed the attic and tower and damaged much of the hall’s second floor. The university gave the community a parcel on Park Street for a new school (today’s South Hall) and took possession of what became Kanakadea Hall in exchange. Rebuilt without a tower at the cost of $3,400, it was opened as a university classroom and faculty office building in 1908. President Boothe Colwell Davis named the building in honor of the Kanakadea Creek that flows nearby. When the hall was restored and renovated in 2001, it was renamed The Edward G. and Carole Hulse Coll Center at Kanakadea in honor of Alfred's retiring president, Edward G. Coll, Jr. and his wife. This last renovation marked the recreation of the beautiful and lofty tower structure and spire destroyed in the 1907 fire.
1860 3 FloorsBuilt in 1860 as Boarding Hall, The Brick, so named after being renovated and remodeled after it was burned badly in a 1932 fire, is Alfred University’s oldest residence hall. The Brick was built originally to house women. It has been known as Boarding Hall, University Hall and Ladies Hall. Over the years, the alumni have created a number of stories and tales about The Brick. One myth claims that AU's second president Jonathan Allen found a horse on the third floor. Now co-educational, The Brick houses primarily juniors and seniors. Over the years, The Brick has not only housed students, but it has been used for classrooms, meeting rooms, a gymnasium and even, for a brief amount of time after World War II, as an infirmary. It is listed on the National and State Historical Register. Studios for the Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts program in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences are in the basement of The Brick.
King Alfred Statue 1990The statue has been a part of the University’s campus since 1990. A result of 10 years’ work by sculptor William Underhill, the former School of Art & Design Associate Professor of Sculpture, the statue is 5’7” high, weighs 900 pounds and is made of a bronze-silicon alloy. It rests on a 9’ base carved with the words Leadership, Scholarship and Faith. It was cast in 18 separate pieces using the “lost wax” process and then welded together. The pose is a traditional “chiasos” one developed in classic Greek sculpture, with the weight on one foot, creating a graceful and natural curve to the body. King Alfred holds a book representing scholarship and engraved with the Alfred University motto, “Fiat Lux” (Let There Be Light). The shield rests on the ground to indicate stability and is divided into four quadrants, forming a cross. Each quadrant is emblazoned in relief work with one of the four heraldic beasts suggesting the four evangelists of the New Testament. The 28-inch sword is based on one unearthed at the Sutton Hoo site in England, where an unidentified Saxon king was buried. While there’s no definitive proof on why we’re named Alfred, two local legends both relate back to King Alfred. The first states that the town of Alfred received its name from early settlers who saw a striking resemblance between the local scenery and that of King Alfred’s capital in England, Winchester. The second idea is that since the town’s founders were Seventh Day Baptists who placed such a high priority on education that they would naturally choose to name it after “The Education King.” In any case, Alfred University bears the name Alfred, meaning “wise counselor.”
Powell Campus Center 1994 3 FloorsBuilt in honor of Arthur and Lea Powell, the Powell Campus Center provides offices for the Center for Student Involvement and student organizations including the student newspaper (Fiat Lux), the student yearbook (Kanakadea), the ALANA organizations and studios for AUTV and WALF-FM radio and the ICU or institute of cultural unity. Meeting rooms include the Board Room, Kenyon-Allen-Davis Rooms. Additional facilities include a dining hall, the multi-purpose Knight Club, the Art Spot Cafe, Nevins Theater, the campus bookstore, mailroom and a TV Lounge.
Ade Hall 1963 2 FloorsConstructed north of Barresi Hall in 1963, Ade Hall is a dining facility with seating upstairs for 520, and a downstairs lounge. In 1986-87, two small dining/meeting rooms of 30 and 16 person capacity, respectively, were created out of the out of the north and south cloak rooms. The downstairs south end was renovated to become a late night eatery, Midknight Express café. Unfortunately Ade receives a lot of complaints from students because of their food, which has a tendency to be prepared badly.
What is the minority population around at AU?
How many recognized organizations and clubs does AU have?
Less than 30
More then 80
D. More than 80
How many undergraduates play a varsity sport?
What is the student/faculty ratio at AU?
When was Alfred University founded?
Who is the President of AU?
Nancy J. Evangelista
Stephen S. Crandall
What country were the original Saxons from?
Saxon butcher stands six-feet
ten-inches tall and wears size 13
What does he weigh?
A group of Saxon and Frisian warriors are having a
race. If a Saxon passed
in 2nd place, what place would
be in now
Imagine a Saxon warrior sinking in a boat surrounded my sharks. How would he